Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New years resolution

Vehicle
    HJ75 Hilux KUN25 BJ40 LJ70
    Thanks

New years resolution

this toy is to be totally stripped, panels and chasis sandblasted , and will be back in better than showroom condition.

Its an Irish 1982 BJ40RV-KC. I havent given it a name yet as it hasnt earned one yet. (most likely it will be "remortgage", or "in the red" or something in the vein)

Its diesel (b-engine) and its 24volt. Seller told me theres a water pump leak problem and it showed when i test drove it.

heres the baby near home (Rostrevor CoDown) ..by the who it came from just outside Gorey.

Front. note rust at bottom of panel, common enough that replacement sections of that panel are available. looking at the wagon straight on you'd think theres something not right about it. and youd be thinking right. the front panel has been nudged out of line.

me mate jet washing the engine bay out after soaking it in sprayed diesel for a couple of hours. this angle shows the extent of the lower rear quarter panel. A previous owner had started sandblasting this side and quickly got disheartened.

Passenger side rear. again the rust monster has got hold. replacement panels come in fibre glass, aluminum, steel and ever stainless steel (built by a former Airbus craftsman in France). on these old machines whereever theres a join of metal there is usually rust.

the Wheel carrier ..more holes drilled in the body for more rust.. and extra strain on the rear quarter panel. also show sthe rear sill another favourite hangout of the tinworm. By the who that low slung tow bar has gotta go.

the windscreen surround. notoriusly full of rust..not this one . fibre glass roof polished up good after jetwashing , theres a small crack to sort out on it.

again the rear passenger side. looks lovely doesnt it, but dont trust everthign you see on the internet, thats mostly fibreglass with rust underneath.

A door. normally on the 40 series the rubber on the window shrivels and falls down into the double skined door, letting in water with nowhere to go except thru steel. this passenger side door is the worse of the 2 and aint too bad in my mind.

after a mornings work we had the interior and body washed down, heres a piccie of it getting a belly rub.

The previous owner had started sandblasting the car, and quickly got disheartened or ran out of sand.So i pasted white radiator over all the exposed bare metal.

I took a claw hammer to the fibre glass bodge jobs on the BJ40 and took all the measurements i could get on a phishy windy irish day.

Vehicle
    Thanks
    Heres the result of clawing at the body....

Driverside rear

Passenger side rear with the fibreglass off. i knew it would be crappy underneath..hahah..

and just to surprise me both rear lower door frame are toast..

While i was at it I took photos and dimensions of all accessible body panels. I measured the front wings throughly so i could check against LHD front panels in europe.

Vehicle
    Thanks

Front body panel strip down.

OK. the days are getting longer here in Ireland now. so i've dived into the rebuild. today i striped the front body. heres some happy snaps. Im contemplating fitting a 3B to replace that B engine. Im going to brace the rear body before i take it off. Otherwise i fear it will flop and id loose the original dimensions.

Batteries out, air intake out, electrics and wiper hoses disconnected.

Front panel off. I dont get why theres a hood/bonnet release on this machine when there is the 2 side tie downs. The front panel was out of line so the release latch didnt engage. Is it to stop the hood being opened without the lever been pulled in the cab?

Yeeeaaa. Progress. only a couple of 10mm bolts sheared on me and a wheel lug, Boo. Tomorrow i look more closer at the engine. Was told it had water pump leak, but i suspect other watery problems. Any engine i put in this will have replacement brass coreplugs, anyone know where to get them?

Vehicle
    mk2 golf gti
    Thanks
    Good stuff Tonka, you are a brave man!

Nice project if you have the time and facilities, will be worth it when its done, white elephant is looking good too btw!

Vehicle
    1981 BJ 40
    Thanks
    are you going to get a new rear body made

Vehicle
    BJ70 HDJ80
    Thanks
    cant wait to see the finished product!

Vehicle
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph View Post
    Good stuff Tonka, you are a brave man!

Nice project if you have the time and facilities, will be worth it when its done, white elephant is looking good too btw!
    I aint no mechanic, but these beasties are easy as to work on.
    Its the body on this wagon that needs the most work. Once i get it removed i'll shine up the chaisis (maybe galvinise it) and paint everything nice and black. Replace seals, new exhaust, tyres, batteries.

Im also hoping to retrofit stuff from my LJ70 onto it, like power steering, disk brakes.

I have plenty of time, good old recession :-)

no shelter though. i will outsource the spraying for sure.

I hope to get it on the road by April . As thats when the MOT on White Elephant runs out. Which i want to get off the road and treat it to some new paint and fit some luxaries to it from my sacrafical LJ70. But thats a another story.

the BJ40 body work will delay me though i suspect. the lead build time for new bodies from france is 2-3 months if i go that route.

Vehicle
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by diarmaidb View Post
    are you going to get a new rear body made
    I doubt I could find a decent second hand body in Ireland. Anyone out there with one, PM me. :-)

Once i remove the rear body i will know what its like underneath and if floor joists are in good nick. As you see from the photos the exterior is gash.

From the front doors forwards the body is in good nick, im very chuffed with that bit, compared to all the other unrestored ones ive seen in Ireland.

Vehicle
    Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 1979
    Thanks
    Great stuff tonka.Good 2 see anouther saved,Look 4 ward 2 hear how u get on.

Vehicle
    mk2 golf gti
    Thanks
    I'm doing an engine conversion and a bit of a rebuild on a mk2 golf gti at the moment and the one thing I regret is not getting a shed or a shelter to do it in!

The upgrades from the 70 will be a nice addition!

Forward of the doors everthing does look good as you say, that is a good start!

Don't forget to take plenty of pics