Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New years resolution

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Vehicle
    HJ75 Hilux KUN25 BJ40 LJ70
    Thanks

New years resolution

this toy is to be totally stripped, panels and chasis sandblasted , and will be back in better than showroom condition.

Its an Irish 1982 BJ40RV-KC. I havent given it a name yet as it hasnt earned one yet. (most likely it will be "remortgage", or "in the red" or something in the vein)

Its diesel (b-engine) and its 24volt. Seller told me theres a water pump leak problem and it showed when i test drove it.

heres the baby near home (Rostrevor CoDown) ..by the who it came from just outside Gorey.

Front. note rust at bottom of panel, common enough that replacement sections of that panel are available. looking at the wagon straight on you'd think theres something not right about it. and youd be thinking right. the front panel has been nudged out of line.

me mate jet washing the engine bay out after soaking it in sprayed diesel for a couple of hours. this angle shows the extent of the lower rear quarter panel. A previous owner had started sandblasting this side and quickly got disheartened.

Passenger side rear. again the rust monster has got hold. replacement panels come in fibre glass, aluminum, steel and ever stainless steel (built by a former Airbus craftsman in France). on these old machines whereever theres a join of metal there is usually rust.

the Wheel carrier ..more holes drilled in the body for more rust.. and extra strain on the rear quarter panel. also show sthe rear sill another favourite hangout of the tinworm. By the who that low slung tow bar has gotta go.

the windscreen surround. notoriusly full of rust..not this one . fibre glass roof polished up good after jetwashing , theres a small crack to sort out on it.

again the rear passenger side. looks lovely doesnt it, but dont trust everthign you see on the internet, thats mostly fibreglass with rust underneath.

A door. normally on the 40 series the rubber on the window shrivels and falls down into the double skined door, letting in water with nowhere to go except thru steel. this passenger side door is the worse of the 2 and aint too bad in my mind.

after a mornings work we had the interior and body washed down, heres a piccie of it getting a belly rub.

The previous owner had started sandblasting the car, and quickly got disheartened or ran out of sand.So i pasted white radiator over all the exposed bare metal.

I took a claw hammer to the fibre glass bodge jobs on the BJ40 and took all the measurements i could get on a phishy windy irish day.

Vehicle
    Thanks
    Heres the result of clawing at the body....

Driverside rear

Passenger side rear with the fibreglass off. i knew it would be crappy underneath..hahah..

and just to surprise me both rear lower door frame are toast..

While i was at it I took photos and dimensions of all accessible body panels. I measured the front wings throughly so i could check against LHD front panels in europe.

Vehicle
    Thanks

Front body panel strip down.

OK. the days are getting longer here in Ireland now. so i've dived into the rebuild. today i striped the front body. heres some happy snaps. Im contemplating fitting a 3B to replace that B engine. Im going to brace the rear body before i take it off. Otherwise i fear it will flop and id loose the original dimensions.

Batteries out, air intake out, electrics and wiper hoses disconnected.

Front panel off. I dont get why theres a hood/bonnet release on this machine when there is the 2 side tie downs. The front panel was out of line so the release latch didnt engage. Is it to stop the hood being opened without the lever been pulled in the cab?

Yeeeaaa. Progress. only a couple of 10mm bolts sheared on me and a wheel lug, Boo. Tomorrow i look more closer at the engine. Was told it had water pump leak, but i suspect other watery problems. Any engine i put in this will have replacement brass coreplugs, anyone know where to get them?

Vehicle
    mk2 golf gti
    Thanks
    Good stuff Tonka, you are a brave man!

Nice project if you have the time and facilities, will be worth it when its done, white elephant is looking good too btw!

Vehicle
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph View Post
    Good stuff Tonka, you are a brave man!

Nice project if you have the time and facilities, will be worth it when its done, white elephant is looking good too btw!
    I aint no mechanic, but these beasties are easy as to work on.
    Its the body on this wagon that needs the most work. Once i get it removed i'll shine up the chaisis (maybe galvinise it) and paint everything nice and black. Replace seals, new exhaust, tyres, batteries.

Im also hoping to retrofit stuff from my LJ70 onto it, like power steering, disk brakes.

I have plenty of time, good old recession :-)

no shelter though. i will outsource the spraying for sure.

I hope to get it on the road by April . As thats when the MOT on White Elephant runs out. Which i want to get off the road and treat it to some new paint and fit some luxaries to it from my sacrafical LJ70. But thats a another story.

the BJ40 body work will delay me though i suspect. the lead build time for new bodies from france is 2-3 months if i go that route.

Vehicle
    1981 BJ 40
    Thanks
    are you going to get a new rear body made

Vehicle
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by diarmaidb View Post
    are you going to get a new rear body made
    I doubt I could find a decent second hand body in Ireland. Anyone out there with one, PM me. :-)

Once i remove the rear body i will know what its like underneath and if floor joists are in good nick. As you see from the photos the exterior is gash.

From the front doors forwards the body is in good nick, im very chuffed with that bit, compared to all the other unrestored ones ive seen in Ireland.

Vehicle
    Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 1979
    Thanks
    Great stuff tonka.Good 2 see anouther saved,Look 4 ward 2 hear how u get on.

Vehicle
    1981 BJ 40
    Thanks
    i notice you have done a sketch of the rear body, and have seen how bad the original is, so im dead curious to see what you have in mind for its replacement. i am very interested in buying one to restore, ive looked at one in monaghan for 1500 recently and one in wexford for 3500 about 3 months ago , both now sold, but couldnt make the final hurdle to buy either just from fear of the unknown with regard to sourcing and cost of parts, but people like you may give me the confidence to overcome the hurdle. surely some engineering works in ireland could manufacture parts for landcruisers and make a decent profit. a computer programme in a trumf machine can practically cut and mould any design. i would love to come and see your restoration in progress as part of my confidence building process. would that be possible? is there anyone else out there restoring one in the north leinster region? i live near drogheda

Vehicle
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by diarmaidb View Post
    i notice you have done a sketch of the rear body, and have seen how bad the original is, so im dead curious to see what you have in mind for its replacement. i am very interested in buying one to restore, ive looked at one in monaghan for 1500 recently and one in wexford for 3500 about 3 months ago , both now sold, but couldnt make the final hurdle to buy either just from fear of the unknown with regard to sourcing and cost of parts, but people like you may give me the confidence to overcome the hurdle. surely some engineering works in ireland could manufacture parts for landcruisers and make a decent profit. a computer programme in a trumf machine can practically cut and mould any design. i would love to come and see your restoration in progress as part of my confidence building process. would that be possible? is there anyone else out there restoring one in the north leinster region? i live near drogheda
    Gday D.
    I seem to change me mind everytime i think of the rear body.!! But i shouldnt be thinking about it too much until i remove it from the chassis, for a better looksey. Hopefully that should be by the end of this week.

I was drinking with a mate the other day and I walked out of the pub brimming with confidance that i could weld the thing up meself (me who has never welded before!).

Before that session i was for buying a non OEM new 1/2 tub (from seat base back) from europe which i priced the cheapest at 1500euros. Also from europe you can buy the whole tub (thats including the bulkhead back) beginning at 3000 to 5000 in stainless steel. They even have the exact corrugations in the floor, and non toyota options like storage cubbies in the wheel arches or under the floor.

Heres a body tub in fibre glass..

Individual panels can be got in fibreglass, steel, stainless steel, aluminum, including geniune toyota panels. For the rear, welding will be required. But the forward of the bulkhead all the panels are bolt on off. I have another thread in the forty series forum. http://lcoc.ie/showthread.php?15-The...es-body-parts.I was in europe at the time I compiled that list looking for panels. Unfortunately there were none of what i was after on the shelf in the places i visited. But most can stock them within a month.

Shipping costs is a bummer though. Though I got from Rosslare to Cherbourg in September for 89euros..one could stockpile the parts at one supplier, drive over collect them and load up on cheap grog, cheese and diesel on the way back.

I want a local sheet metal company have a look at it. I think i could get them to fold most the interior of the rear in one sheet. The curves and folds in the rear quarter panels may be difficult to replicate but those panels can be got in steel for around 150euro each. I will probably decide what im doing with the rear after the sheet metal mob looks at it.
    Last edited by TONKA; 18th January 2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: adding a link