Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New years resolution

Vehicle
    95 Fzj80
    Thanks
    The chassis looks to be in good shape also.
    I hate that fiber glass filler shite.

Vehicle
    HJ75 Hilux KUN25 BJ40 LJ70
    Thanks
    Today was consumed with leaving people off at the airport then driving their relatively new car home, that konked out everytime the window wipers were turned on. haha.

So i didnt have chance to look at the BJ40.
    Just for yous though, heres a couple of quirky features of the BJ40.

some previous owner had replaced the grommets in the footwell with US dime coins.

I was curious what these markings are on the front springs. Turns out that is the part number for the upper leaf.
    Since the fronnt fenders are rust free, Im guessing these are the original springs from the factory back in 1982.

Vehicle
    82 bj40, 92 lj70, 93 kzj70, 96kzj90
    Thanks
    I am restoring an 82 mustard bj40 at the moment myself.........A hard worked jeep....The backend of it was rotten and some small bits of rust in and about the doors. On a positive note it has never seen a bit of fillers ...it drives great, engine is sweet as are the brakes. It may have a water pump problem also. interior is destroyed( i must have removed half a ton of calf nuts from it)

I have considered the usual mods.........60 series power steering, disc brakes and 5 speed box from a bj70 but imo not worth the effort.

not much of a camera man so i dont have photos.

best of luck TONKA you wont know where you spent the time.

Vehicle
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by traction View Post
    I am restoring an 82 mustard bj40 at the moment myself

just what a build thread is about. Helping and egging the builder on.

I have considered the usual mods.........60 series power steering, disc brakes and 5 speed box from a bj70 but imo not worth the effort.

best of luck TONKA you wont know where you spent the time.
    thanks for the encouragement Traction.

Yeah power steering, disk brakes and 5speed are the most populer retro fits. Also Spring Over Axle conversion or extended shackles.
    I think i'll keep the suspension stock at the moment.
    Last edited by TONKA; 14th January 2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: more spheel

Vehicle
    Thanks

Showery (////) weather (////) today (////)

today i had a choice of projects; continue pulling apart the BJ40 or more pressing fit a new Birfield joint to the HJ75. As it was showery today i opted for the BJ40 :-)

amazing how flimsey this bash plate is under the rad and forward engine. Will need a wee weld on it, or i might fit a beefier plate.

Im photographing all conections, and screwing back removed bolts. Previously i used to tag and bag everything but thats a bit time consuming when rain clouds threaten your every move. not sure yet if ill make/get a new wiring loom, everythings seems easily repairable on the one it has already.

more evidance that the LHS lightly kissed something. Plastic lower part of the fan motor is cracked. luckily i have a spare from a salvaged bj45.

i thought there was something core plug related wrong with the engine. I had parked it up in September and it only had a water pump leak. There has been extreme (for ireland) cold in December down to -15degrees centigrade in our parts. I thought the engine had self drained with the leak in it, obvisously not. The core plug popped out just with the weight of fresh water behind it. (Im only using water to trace leaks etc, of course proper coolant will be added when I've remedied the faults.)

Also today I removed the battery trays, handy for putting tools on but also handy for breaking skin on.

Vehicle
    Thanks
    Its a bit pessimistic. But if i fail to meet my deadline to get this on the road by April I have a secondary target completion date for the Kilbroney Car Show in June.

check out the below post about it.
    http://lcoc.ie/showthread.php?176-Ki...show-June-2011

Vehicle
    mk2 golf gti
    Thanks
    Call me pessimistic but I think you're being optimistic

I set a few deadlines for my gti, haven't met any off them and I'm still at it!

Reasons for this are, not having a shed+weather, waiting for parts, wrong parts, being let down be people (sandblaster first then painter) and then theres the unexpected things that pop up with such big projects, the budget also dictates a projects timescale in my experience!

+1 on the bagging, taggin, photos and reffiting nuts and bolts to parts, really helps!

Vehicle
    BJ40
    Thanks
    Tonk fair play t'ya for the determination anyway. I've one just like yours, well its red and brown all round. Thing is, you've bought one and gone and started the stripdown, and have mentioned the 'no shed' status. Meanwhile I bought mine in '05, and did nothing except build my shed to put the beauty into. So now after 5 years, I have only 1 downpipe left to fix to the wall and thats the shed finished (with pit - yeahhhhhhh), but the cruiser had the guts of 5 more years of rain comin down on her all through that time and now I'm nearly ready....... but I want a welder and a few benches inside before I go at it - in other words more excuses .

Fair play Tonka, keep the momentum up. Over and out.

Vehicle
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ollierehn View Post
    I've one just like yours, well its red and brown all round. Thing is, you've bought one and gone and started the stripdown, and have mentioned the 'no shed' status. but I want a welder and a few benches inside before I go at it - in other words more excuses .

Fair play Tonka, keep the momentum up. Over and out.
    hehe. Its amazing what an interest in house hold cleaning you get when its a miserable day outside. The strip down is easier to do outside anyways cos of the dust and crap youre going to generate, best keep the workshop clean for the build and painting.

Working outside makes me work quicker too. A nice welcoming warm shed full of gadgets and comforts would distract me, Id probable put a sofa and TV in it if i had one.

I've drooled over the many rebuilds on IH8MUD.com, and viewed about twenty 40s in Ireland. Including a few restored ones. So I know what im getting into.

Vehicle
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph View Post
    Call me pessimistic but I think you're being optimistic

being let down be people (sandblaster first then painter) and then theres the unexpected things that pop up with such big projects, the budget also dictates a projects timescale in my experience!
    Cheers Murph ,

"no man is an island", hell in through the letterbox yesterday came a catalogue from Frost restorers equipment http://www.frost.co.uk and it has all the weird funky gear in it to become an island. But no, i'll have to outsource the stuff i dont have the skills nor equipment.

Parts wise I'm in a good position with all the mechanicals salvaged from a BJ45 http://lcoc.ie/showthread.php?58-I-t...r-for-this-un.and a sacrifical LJ70.

The major cost of this project will be the bodywork. And i have a good idea what the more expensive solutions are for it.